Day 9!

Another day is in the books! We got started on our research projects today! After performing data analysis on all the riffle samples we took, we were finally ready to start entering our findings into charts, graphs, and graphics. It was interesting to see the final results, and finding out whether or not our initial hypothesis were correct. We got the poster started but it still needs a lot of work. That will come tomorrow.

We were treated to a tour of the private garden, which was full of many medicinal plants. Our tour guide, a tribal elder from Panama, pointed out many plants that had medicinal uses for a wide variety of ailments, from simple ones like burns or inflammation, to birth control and prostate treatment. It was incredible the knowledge and training he must possess, acquired over many decades.

After we had another amazing dinner, our group met in the reception meeting room to have a sharing circle. Each member of the group took turns sharing what they were thankful for on the trip. I thanked Scott, Jessica, our mentors, for being so energetic and passionate about that they do. It really does make it easy to hop out of bed each morning ready to go, to hit the trails hard, and to do your best. It's all very exciting! I've been here over a week and each day is just as exciting as the last because of the people I am with. I also am thankful for my team, Deb and Aldwin, as well as our honorary team member Lucas. I am also thankful for our friends from Panama who taught us so much about their culture, it's been a very special experience. Finally, I am thankful for my fellow students. It's amazing and inspiring to be around such bright Native students from all over the country doing really amazing things. I am so proud of each and every one of them, and I am honored to be here with them.

More big thing are coming tomorrow. For now, I rest.

Comments

  1. Hello Jake. I am glad the trip is going well and you are having a great time. I like the pics also, especially the one featuring The moon. Thank you for sharing. Peace

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6!

Day 1!