Day 3!

It was another busy day today! We woke up early and were privileged to take a tour of the grounds, where we learned a ton of interesting facts about plant species in the gardens. During the tour we spotted a toucan (no pictures yet sadly, which was one of the creatures I was really hoping to see during the trip.



We started our hike and made a stop at the lookout tower. We got some great views of the mountains and the wild countryside, and of course it was a great spot to take a selfie!

A view from the lookout tower




Jamison and I














Next up on our itinerary was to hike a trail about a mile into the forest. We got to see some very interesting plants and some really great sights along the way. It was really cool walking over this old wooden bridge going over a river.

I put a lot of trust into this old structure












We stopped once the trail reached this beautiful stream, where we crossed to the other side and enjoyed the wonderful views. The hike back was tiring! But the hearty meal the staff provided got me feeling full of energy that got me through the rest of the day.

The picture doesn't really to this area justice












After lunch, I met with my research partner Aldrick and our mentor Deb. We put together a research plan and hypothesis and gathered our gear so we would be ready to go bring and early the next day.

Not as complicated as it looks 😀












We had some time to rest and relax before we had another great dinner. Following our meal we had a round of introductions, which included guests from Panama. These folks are here to teach and impart some of their knowledge of traditional plants, medicines, arts, and customs. They were very nice people and were very gracious and happy that we are all here together to collaborate and lean from one another. 

It was a long day and I need to get my rest for the beginning of my research project tomorrow. I leave you with another photo:



For more pictures and insight into my experience during this amazing research excursion, follow me:
Instagram: ser.jacob
Snapchat: jmcarthur85



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6!

Day 9!

Day 1!