Day 5!

Today was the second day of research. We hit the Water Trail early today and made our way to our unnamed stream. Scott joined us today and pointed out a lot of interesting things along the way. He experience and knowledge was very much appreciated. We learned a few wild food sources from him, including red bananas and a celery like plant. I tried both, despite the bananas being unripe and the "celery" stalk being picked of its goodness before I had a chance to try it. Thanks Aldwin and Deb! We all had a good laugh! 😂 I really enjoy being a part of such a great group! We get along great, have fun, do great work, and Deb teaches us so much.

We made it to the part of our unnamed stream that we wanted to sample. We had to climb off of the Water Trail and follow the stream into the forest to find some good riffles. We picked out three spots and performed kick sampling, with Aldwin and I taking turns. We found a bunch of invertebrates; mayflies, caddisflies, midge larva, fresh water crabs, bloodworm larva and a few other species. One of sites was in this steep "canyon" of sorts, where the water during its high mark has work away the thick boulders. It was very beautiful but treacherous area we made it to. We got our sampling done around noon and made our trek back out of the woods.

After we got out of the woods we took a little time to rest and get cleaned up. Once 2:45 came around we met up at the Reception office for ice cream. This was our second day rewarding our hard work with a frozen treat, so that's kind of our thing now. After we parted, the rest of the evening was free. I spent it walking the garden, taking a ton of photos of flowers, trees, the many Agouti that patrol the garden, and whatever else that caught my eye.

I met up with Aldwin and Lucas to play frisbee. Ian had found a frisbee by chance and had let us use it. We had a lot of fun trying trick throws to one another. It was good to engage in some athletic activities, since I couldn't really do that back home since it is snowing so bad. We explored the grounds and came across the soccer pitch. Now we have plans to procure a soccer ball so we can play, so that's part of our weekend plans. I really didn't do much the rest of the evening. I was tired from a long day of hard work in the rain forest, so I did some homework and am now turning in early. I think tomorrow will be our biggest day yet and for that I go to sleep very excited for tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6!

Day 1!

Day 9!